Weekly fundamentals #26
A week-over-week momentum overview of the top blockchains & dapps across our key metrics.
🆕 New post in our research series: The state of Cosmos.
Charts of the week
💰Total value locked (TVL)
Which projects currently have the most assets deposited into their smart contracts?
Top projects by latest TVL
This week’s top gainers by TVL
Daily TVL for this week’s top movers in the past 180 days
- The total amount of value locked in smart contracts has dropped from over $250 billion to slightly under $150 billion in just a few days as cryptoasset prices plummet.
📈Total revenue (fees paid)
Which projects have generated the most fees/yield?
Top projects by cumulative total revenue in the past 7 days
This week’s top gainers by total revenue
Daily total revenue for this week’s top gainers in the past 180 days
- An increase in volatility and the unfortunate events around the depegging of TerraUSD have resulted in an increase in total trading volume throughout DeFi as investors search for security.
- USD-denominated revenue is trending up despite the sharp decline in prices. This is mainly driven by the increased demand for exchanging cryptoassets.
📉Price to sales (P/S) ratio
How are projects priced relative to total fees/yield generated?
Top projects by latest P/S rations
This week’s top movers by P/S ratio
- P/S ratios have decreased across the board as the crypto market continues its downward trend.
- Ethereum Name Service (ENS) saw a surge in revenue over the past weeks as speculators rushed to register all 3- and 4-digit ENS domains. This combined with a sharp decline in market cap has it sitting at a P/S ratio of under 5x.
Protocol revenue is the share of the total revenue that accrues to the benefit of token holders or the company behind the protocol.
Top projects by cumulative protocol revenue in the past 7 days
This week’s top gainers by protocol revenue
Daily protocol revenue for this week’s top movers in the past 180 days
- Despite a downwards trend in the market, we can see solid revenue growth among small- and mid-cap protocols.
- Demand for swapping stablecoins increased substantially as investors searched for security after the depegging of TerraUSD (UST). Curve, and many decentralized exchange aggregators, saw sharp increases in trading volume.
- As volatility in the market has increased, we’ve seen more activity on perpetual contracts exchanges such as dYdX.
📉Price to earnings (P/E) ratio
The 'E' in the P/E ratio is based on protocol revenue, i.e. the share of the total revenue that accrues to the benefit of token holders or the company behind the protocol.
Top projects by latest P/E ratio
This week’s top movers by P/E ratio
- Both the P/S and P/E valuation multiples have decreased significantly as markets trend downwards and trading activity has increased.
*Note: We have excluded dapps & blockchains with revenue figures under $10k/week.**Note:‘change’ is calculated as a snapshot comparison, whereas ‘trend’ is calculated by comparing the given time interval against its previous time interval.
📽 This week’s video
Visit us: tokenterminal.com
The authors of this content, or members, affiliates, or stakeholders of Token Terminal may be participating or are invested in protocols or tokens mentioned herein. The foregoing statement acts as a disclosure of potential conflicts of interest and is not a recommendation to purchase or invest in any token or participate in any protocol. Token Terminal does not recommend any particular course of action in relation to any token or protocol. The content herein is meant purely for educational and informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as financial, investment, legal, tax or any other professional or other advice. None of the content and information herein is presented to induce or to attempt to induce any reader or other person to buy, sell or hold any token or participate in any protocol or enter into, or offer to enter into, any agreement for or with a view to buying or selling any token or participating in any protocol. Statements made herein (including statements of opinion, if any) are wholly generic and not tailored to take into account the personal needs and unique circumstances of any reader or any other person. Readers are strongly urged to exercise caution and have regard to their own personal needs and circumstances before making any decision to buy or sell any token or participate in any protocol. Observations and views expressed herein may be changed by Token Terminal at any time without notice. Token Terminal accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or liabilities arising from the use of or reliance on any of this content.
Stay in the loop
Join our mailing list to get the latest insights!
- Introducing the ‘Fundraises’ data set
Introducing the ‘Fundraises’ data set
Token Terminal's new ‘Fundraises’ data set has been released. Learn more about what fundraising data is, why it's important, and how you can interpret the data.
- Maven 11 – Value capture, modular blockchains, due diligence, good tech vs. good business | Fundamentals ep.72
Maven 11 – Value capture, modular blockchains, due diligence, good tech vs. good business | Fundamentals ep.72
In this episode of the Fundamentals podcast, we’re joined by Mathijs van Esch, Associate Partner at Maven 11 – a crypto-native fund that partners with brave outliers challenging the status quo by redefining ownership.
- Sei – the fastest Layer 1 blockchain, optimizing UX for the exchange of digital assets | Fundamentals ep.71
Sei – the fastest Layer 1 blockchain, optimizing UX for the exchange of digital assets | Fundamentals ep.71
In this episode, we’re joined by Jay Jog, the Co-founder of Sei - a general purpose, open-source Layer 1 blockchain offering infrastructure optimized for the exchange of digital assets.