Uniswap post liquidity mining
Uniswap’s token incentive program (liquidity mining) ended on the 17th of November. This led to a sudden drop (~50%) in the total value locked (TVL) in Uniswap. We went ahead and compared Uniswap’s TVL (liquidity) and GMV (trading volume) data to better understand the actual business impact of a drop in TVL.
TL;DR: Trading volume (GMV) does not seem to have a direct correlation with TVL or the liquidity deposited into the trading pools. To a certain extent, TVL is required to reduce slippage in an AMM-style DEX, but it is a less accurate metric when measuring the actual performance of a DEX.
Check out our new Uniswap dashboard for more data.Note: The ‘DeFi average’ data in the charts is calculated based on all DEXes currently listed on our site.
Total Value Locked (TVL)
- Average TVL (past 30 days): $2,500,698,287
- Uniswap’s TVL dropped ~50% on November 17th when the protocol’s token incentive program ended.
- Average TVL (past 30 days): $438,367,375
- Sushiswap’s ongoing token incentive program has managed to capture the majority of the TVL lost by Uniswap.
- Average TVL (past 30 days): $750,218,346
- The TVL migration hypothesis is further solidified when looking at the TVL data of the top DEXes from the past 30 days.
Trading Volume (GMV)
- Total GMV (past 30 days): $10,022,248,565
- The drop in TVL did not affect Uniswap’s GMV (trading volume) during the same period.
- Total GMV (past 30 days): $1,419,667,906
- Sushiswap’s trading volume (GMV) has increased steadily over time, but does not seem to directly correlate with the increase in its TVL.
- Average GMV (past 30 days): $1,452,290,015
- AMMs dominate DEX trading volumes, with Uniswap and Sushiswap in the lead.
Check out our new DEX dashboard for more data!
Contribute to our Gitcoin grant here.
The authors of this content, or members, affiliates, or stakeholders of Token Terminal may be participating or are invested in protocols or tokens mentioned herein. The foregoing statement acts as a disclosure of potential conflicts of interest and is not a recommendation to purchase or invest in any token or participate in any protocol. Token Terminal does not recommend any particular course of action in relation to any token or protocol. The content herein is meant purely for educational and informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as financial, investment, legal, tax or any other professional or other advice. None of the content and information herein is presented to induce or to attempt to induce any reader or other person to buy, sell or hold any token or participate in any protocol or enter into, or offer to enter into, any agreement for or with a view to buying or selling any token or participating in any protocol. Statements made herein (including statements of opinion, if any) are wholly generic and not tailored to take into account the personal needs and unique circumstances of any reader or any other person. Readers are strongly urged to exercise caution and have regard to their own personal needs and circumstances before making any decision to buy or sell any token or participate in any protocol. Observations and views expressed herein may be changed by Token Terminal at any time without notice. Token Terminal accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or liabilities arising from the use of or reliance on any of this content.
Stay in the loop
Join our mailing list to get the latest insights!
- Derivatives – Weekly fundamentals #66
Derivatives – Weekly fundamentals #66
This week’s newsletter focuses on the derivatives market sector, which has a designated dashboard on Token Terminal. Let’s dig in!
- MakerDAO's Endgame with Rune Christensen | Fundamentals ep.57
MakerDAO's Endgame with Rune Christensen | Fundamentals ep.57
In this episode of the Fundamentals podcast, I’m joined by Rune Christensen – Co-Founder of MakerDAO – a decentralized stablecoin protocol built on Ethereum, and the first-ever DAO, to discuss their recent Endgame update.
- Bridges – Weekly fundamentals #65
Bridges – Weekly fundamentals #65
This week’s newsletter focuses on the bridges market sector, which has a designated dashboard on Token Terminal. Let’s dig in!